Responsibilities of a Local PTA Commissioner
- Become knowledgeable about PTA policies and current issues
- Know the key people and organizations that relate to your commission
- Act as a resource on commission issues
- Disseminate information and material pertaining to commission concerns to parents, teachers and community
- Serve on council commission if one is organized
- Be an active, participating member of the local PTA board of directors
- Serve on PTA and community committees as assigned by the PTA president or board
- Organize your commission with teachers, students, parents, and community members
- Develop and implement programs that relate to commission concerns
- Keep a record of number of hours spent in PTA work
- Keep a procedure book to be passed on
- Advocate for Children on commission-related issues.
- Attend appropriate meetings, including:
- Local PTA Board of Directors
- Training sessions conducted by Utah PTA, Region PTA and Council PTA
- All PTA general membership meetings
- Utah PTA Convention
Community Involvement Commissioner:
Involves members of the family, community, business, religious, and government entities in improving the quality of life and education of all children. Helps plan and implement Volunteer Social, PTA Fundraiser, Book Fairs, Santa Shop, Volunteer Thank You Social, and Field Days.
Becomes knowledgeable about the issues which affect the education of students in the state of Utah. Takes positive action to further the purposes of PTA in promoting the welfare of children and youth at home and at school. Promotes programs which benefit and strengthen education through parental involvement. Helps plan and implement The Candy & Prize Drive, Moms & Muffins, Dads & Donuts, Grandparents & Granola, Leader In Me, and Reflections Awards Night.
Engaging Minority Leaders Commissioner:
Utah PTA values differences and similarities in people and is committed to making Utah PTA and its constituent organizations representative of the demographics of the state, region and local PTAs through cultural awareness; prompting fairness, understanding, solution driven practices; inclusivity and collaboration with home, school, and community. By doing so, we will strengthen the structure of our society through increased parental involvement and student success. The EML Commissioner helps plan and implement Patriotic Week and Family Week.
Family Life Commissioner:
The mission statement for the Utah PTA Family Life Commission is “to strengthen the home and improve the quality of life for all Utah children.” The Family Life Commissioner helps plan and implement Family Skate Nights and Family Week.
Health & Safety Commissioner:
Provides and utilizes resources that are targeted to protect and improve the health of children and youth; designs, identifies, and implements programs in areas of priority and concern; and builds public awareness that will improve the quality of life for the children of Utah. Helps plan and implement Physical Fitness Week and Red Ribbon Week.
Field Day Chair:
Helps plan and implement both field days for the end of the school year.
Fun Run Chair:
Helps plan and implement the Fun Run.
Helps plan and implement the Reflections program including gathering entries, judging, the library display, awards night, and returning entries.
Teacher & Staff Appreciation Chair:
Helps plan and implement Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week along with the Executive Committee.